Monday, August 23, 2010

Science and Research

The kids did chapter review and a test today. They are so funny. So concerned about whether the other is going to cheat, that they just move their desks apart for every test.
Working on the chapter review.
Test time. Note the moved desks. 

I'm happy to report that they both got an A on their tests. a 94%. This is the first year that I've used grades, but it really seems to motivate them. They also started work on their first research papers. Jackson got a little extra help from me. He is only in the 1st grade, but for the most part he keeps up with Shane's 3rd grade science curriculum. The research paper is three animals that they don't know a lot about. They have to find out what it eats, where it lives, what group of animal it belongs to, and two interesting facts.
Jackson looks upset, he was concentrating!
Jackson chose the American Alligator. He used mostly a kids encyclopedia, but got his picture off a website. Shane chose the "horned sheep" and then chose to learn about the Rocky Mountain Horned Sheep. He was very excited when he noticed the sheep can live in Washington. He asked me to take pictures if I see one on my trip. Poor child seems to think I'll be hiking in the mountains. (in actuality we're going to Forks for Bella's birthday, it's a Twilight thing). Shane used a book and the computer. It was a kids site from the Smithsonian. Very helpful.

1 comment:

Notsopc said...

I think that it is great you are having them doing the research,etc.. Good work